Monday 10 December 2007

Dinner is Served...But You're Washing Up!

I was banished from my own kitchen today. Not allowed in, not even for a cuppa. My shouted questions through the door were ignored instead I was told to be go away and stop interupting. So I did.

Delicious aromas wafted through the closed door and my stomach rumbled. What was he doing in there? The suspense was killing me but remembering his words of warning I sat it out.
It was hard work, listening to the sounds of clattering plates and wondering what mess the kitchen was in. Low voices could be heard, I guess ringing Nan to ask advice was a good thing. Saved me the trouble of sorting it out later. Alex was cooking me a meal. He had been given a recipe by Nan at the weekend and was intent on getting it right so me poking my nose in would only ruin the surprise.

He came out every now and then to check I was alright (bless)and basically to remind me not to come in. Promises were made and I was sent upstairs to wash my hands.

Ten minutes later, I was called into the kitchen, dinner was finally ready.
He'd set the table and had placed a small candle in the centre which was glowing and creating a cosy atmosphere. As I sat down a plate of Spaghetti Bolognaise was placed in front of me. What do you think?, he said.
Tasting it with him watching me intently, I gave him my honest opinion. It was delicious. His face glowed with pleasure as he watched me eat his fantastic creation.

This was the first time Alex had been left unsupervised in the kitchen, I didn't mind about the onions on the floor, dried spaghetti all over the kitchen surfaces and gravy spilled on the hob. Not then anyway, as soon as dinner was over he was out of the door. Off to play football with his mates.

I sat for a while staring at our empty plates and the glowing candle, treasuring the moment. With a deep sigh, I knew it had to be done. Asking Alex only got me a look of surprise. 'You're joking', he said. I've done all the cooking'.
And now I've done all the washing up, and mopping down.

That's teamwork that is. Isn't it?!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My finace does all the cleaning and I do all the cooking in our house. It just works best that way. I hate doing the dishes and he doesn't like to cook really.
That sounds really sweet though,sometimes a change is fun.
:-)

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

How sweet! Teamwork indeed!