Thursday 20 September 2007

Back to School!

I started my English GCSE course yesterday at the local Adult Education Centre, to say I was nervous was an understatement. Tena lady would have made a small profit out of me. In my haste I sat outside the wrong classroom and ended up being the last to arrive which pissed me off. Walking into the RIGHT classroom I saw a sea of serious faces watching me as I sat down. With much paper shuffling and pen fiddling the atmosphere seemed almost tense.

Everyone filled out this short form explaining the reasons why and how this course would benefit us, then Nicky our teacher made us exchange the information with each other. It broke the ice and within five minutes we all cheered up and had a natter learning everyone's names and discovering the various reasons why we were all there.

We played a word game called Call My Bluff, picking a word out of the dictionary and writing four meanings of it. The true one and three other 'bluffs'. Our table which consisted of six people all of various ages picked the word. M'Pret. The true meaning is Ruler of a nation. Our bluffs were a Spanish Dance, A Greek tune and a type of wheat. None of the other tables guessed the true meaning so our table won leaving us feeling quite proud of ourselves.

I'm looking forward to next week's lesson and wish I'd have done this years ago. It's never too late to learn and this time round I'm no longer the snotty nosed schoolgirl that I was back in 1985 who spent most of the lesson scrawling 'I love Simon Le Bon' in block letters on my pencil case and giving the teachers earache when they noticed. Now I have something to acheive I dont just want to pass this course, I want to pass with a distinction. I CAN do this!!

No comments: